Saturday, November 12, 2011

PM Lee on GE, cancer and arrogance Nov 13 The ups and downs of the economy and the feelings it generated among Singaporeans were among the factors leading to the results of the May General Election, where the People's Action Party won its lowest vote share since independence (60.14 per cent), said Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. In an interview with CNBC, which aired on Wednesday, Mr Lee said the Government will have to help low- and middle-income Singaporeans through education and skills training, as well as with measures "beyond what the free market completely left to itself would deliver". Asked about his struggle with cancer in 1992 and his health now, Mr Lee said: "I'm in remission. I'm all right. The doctors see me very regularly." As for the perception that the Government can be arrogant and whether cancer had "humbled" him, Mr Lee said: "I think I try to be myself and that's the best way and the most honest way and people will accept us as we are ... it's not our role to be lords and masters and I think that's quite fundamental, which every elected politician must remember in a democracy."

No comments:

Post a Comment